Year Two

I begin my second year as principal of Highland Tech more informed, better adjusted to the ways of Alaskans, and even more optimistic than when I arrived in Anchorage exactly one year ago today. A new principal is always (well, usually) permitted a year of ignorance and adjustment. Though I came here a veteran administrator I came to an entirely different state, an enormous school district, and a most unique learning environment. If Socrates was the most intelligent man for knowing what he didn’t know, I am now Mensa-ready with a year’s glimpse of what I didn’t know, particularly when it comes to competency-based learning.

What I know now about my remarkable school challenges me as chief recruiter as new families come calling this summer. I want Highland Tech to be a place where all students can grow as learners and as people. It is that, as well as a smaller, perhaps safer environment in comparison to neighborhood middle schools of 1000 or high schools of 2000, that prompts me to open our doors to all prospective families. But after a year I also know how challenging mastery based learning can be for students used to a traditional approach, especially if they’ve chosen us because we’re small and nurturing and different, and not because we challenge all students to learn all concepts and processes at a proficient level.

I lean heavily in favor of acceptance. I endeavor to be as transparent about our system as possible and giving students who, on paper, appear as if they may struggle with it mightily, every chance to try. Many of them come to us because they’ve tried the traditional system and it doesn’t work for them. Some come to us because they’ve felt outcast at neighborhood schools. Whatever the reason, it is our responsibility to take them where they are and move them forward in their learning, even if moving forward means moving on from Highland Tech.

Cultural Observation: I’m a big Springsteen fan as those of you who know me well are quite aware. I’ve seen him in concert more times than… well, more than anyone should see one artist in concert. Even the casual observer knows that Bruce is a man of the people, working class hero, blue collar artist, so you’d think he’d play really well up here in Alaska. It doesn’t seem so. I know many of you have moved on to Trivia Crack but I still play Quiz Up. I’m Best in Springsteen in Alaska (all time) and the only one to have played in July. Well, I did a little research and I can’t find any evidence that he’s ever played live up here. Maybe that’s why no one’ splaying. So, Bruce, if you’re reading my blog (which of course you are), and if you end up touring again, put Anchorage on the schedule. We deserve it at least as much as Uncasville, Connecticut (if that’s your real name, “Uncasville”).