What’s Up, Doc?

If all goes according to plan, I will defend my doctoral dissertation prior to the New Year. I won’t deny it, I’m pretty jazzed. This will be one of my proudest personal accomplishments. It’s been “a long and winding road” between changing topics, stalling out in my second chapter, struggling to find school districts willing to cooperate with my research after a successful proposal defense, a hiatus during my first several months in Alaska, a false research start when a cooperating district turned out to not meet research criteria, and bouts of writer’s block.

Here’s the thing, though. When it’s all finished, I will be a Dr. instead of a Mr. Two of my closest friends and former colleagues are finished and are Dr.’s instead of Mr.’s. What deep pedagogical knowledge and magical administrative powers do they possess that I do not? None. Please, don’t get me wrong, They worked hard and deserve their titles. I’m envious that I’m not there yet. The difference is, all three of us had lengthy papers to write. They’re finished with their papers. I’m not quite done yet.

If and when the day comes that I find myself searching for my next career challenge, no doubt the change in title will be a boon, particularly if that next position is at a higher administrative level. It has certainly been a worthwhile pursuit and it has also come with a superintendent’s endorsement. When I look back on our doctoral coursework and the lessons learned in pursuit of the title, I am reminded of the process I went through earning my administrative certification. That coursework made me deeply reflect on my practice and philosophy as a teacher. This process has inspired new depths of reflection about the role and significance of a principal.

Getting my administrative certification made me a better and more purposeful teacher. I believe this process has made me a better and more thoughtful principal.

Cultural Observation: Enough with pumpkin spice flavored things! Seriously.

One thought on “What’s Up, Doc?